Something’s going on in the Hue world: last week alone numerous new products have been launched. By no means that is all that awaits us this year. But not only Signify is busy, other manufacturers are as well: Berlin-based start-up Senic has teamed up with Gira to create its own Friends of Hue switch.
- order Friends of Hue switches from Senic on the manufacturer website
From a purely technical point of view, there are no big surprises with this model: the control module inside the switch is the same for all Friends of Hue switches. But the Senic model is based on the standard System 55 and fits into most switch frames. It is also available in the design of the Gira E2 switch range in matte black and matte white.
But don’t worry: If your Gira switches on the wall shine in “pure glossy white”, you can also have the matching frame and the two rockers sent to you free of charge by the Senic support team – this also applies to other colours from the Gira range. You can even have a single rocker sent to you on request. Of course you lose two buttons with this, but I think the idea is great: especially in rooms where you don’t need many individual buttons it is much easier to “blindly” operate the Friends of Hue switch.
Basic information about the Friends of Hue switch
Since there are always questions about the Friends of Hue switches, I would like to share some basic information with you:
- the Friends of Hue switch from Senic is wireless and can be mounted on empty switch boxes or on smooth surfaces
- for mounting on a switch box, the classic light switch must be removed and the connected lamp must be set to continuous current power
- power is supplied by the switch itself, each click generates enough energy to send the command to the Hue base
- the switches can be configured in a few minutes via the Hue app, but much more options are available with third-party apps like iConnectHue
The first batch of the Friends of Hue switch from Senic and Gira was sold for 49 euros at the start of IFA, but is now sold out. The second batch has already been ordered, with immediate effect the pre-order price via Senic website is 59 euros. Later the counter is supposed to cost 69 Euro.